A Petite Fashion & Lifestyle Blogger

Tuesday 6 October 2020

Introducing Cystic Fibrosis


Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic lung disease, there are many different mutations of the cf gene and mine is the most common; Delta F508.

CF affects more than just the lungs. It also affects; 
- the pancreas/ digestive system as a whole 
- joints 
- liver
- nasal airways
- Your nail beds
- sweat
and also fertility in some people. 

You cannot just catch CF you are born with it. The reason some people aren't diagnosed till later in life is because they've been lucky enough to not show any symptoms or they may have only shown mild symptoms. Everyone with CF is different our bodies won't react the same. 

One question that most people want to know but are too shy to ask is what the life expectancy is. Once again it is different for everyone dependant on the severity of their condition. In the UK it used to be 20's but now its hard to say. The cf trust say that half of the people born with cystic fibrosis in 2017 will live to at least 47 which is incredible. Thankfully new treatments are being given to us patients now so out quality of life should be so much better than before and hopefully life expectancy will be on the rise too.


I remember going through so many trials for research with my siblings in Great Ormond Street Hospital, participating in drug trials and talking to so many student doctors over my life that I have lost count. I do look back and think perhaps I may have helped with research for these new drugs and also helped student doctors go on to be experts in the field of Cystic Fibrosis and respiratory diseases, and to be honest I hope I have because at least i can say I've helped this generation. 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig