A Petite Fashion & Lifestyle Blogger

Monday 3 August 2020

The collaboration scams you should know about

Let's keep this simple. I am going to explain what those comment or dm's saying,
"Hey, hun! we love your style, DM us to collab" mean. 
I'll tell you now 9/10 times this is not a collaboration and this will be a scam. 

So companies will use new bloggers or influencers to their advantage by spamming their comments or Dm's with these types of messages. Of course, you want to say hell yes! Free goodies sent to you in return for a photo they can use on their page, this sounds too good to be true. In short, it usually is. 

If a company is saying to you they'll send you the product for free but you cover the shipping cost they are not treating you as a partner to work with they are using words carefully to treat you as a customer. they will up a shipping fee of about £15 or more and then send you the product. 

I fell for this when I first started Instagram and thankfully the product got sent to me but often they don't! I took the photo and posted it as they asked (without charging them) and they never even reposted me. So not only was I money short for a tee I also didn't get the exposure they promised me or any free items after that (which was another thing they told me would happen).

I have learned now that I will rarely upload images that promote a brand that takes my time and skills for free. Why should I spend hours taking the product photo and editing it to then post it for free when I received a 'free' item that I still had to pay a huge shipping fee for? I have my personal exceptions on this such as small brands that I build a connection with overtime and can truly see the hard work they put into production of the products and items of clothing but then they would usually ask me to cover shipping of £3.  However, remember this most of the time is a big no from me and these companies are trying to scam you.

I will attach a conversation from below of what these usually look like and if you get one I suggest you politely decline x


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig